27 September, 2009

Sleeping mechanics 101 - Part 3: The quality

Well, after reading the comment left in my last post I realize that there is a bunch of parameters that of course affect the quality and that they where not taken into consideration. Nevertheless, I got some insights not in the causes for my sleeping quality, but only of the effects.... I might be able to find the thin line between feeling like shit and waking up sharp as a knife....
I divided the sleeping quality into 2 groups: positive nights (including Fair, Good and Fully Awake nights) and negative nights (Sleepy & Like shit).
First, an overview of the quality, with their amount of hours slept and the number of nights I experience them order by quantity:

hours slept # quality
07:37 7 Good
07:51 7 Sleepy
05:48 5 Like shit
07:08 4 Fully awake
08:32 4 Fair
07:30 3 No records

Hmmm... it's like the negative and positive nights are pretty even. Let's look at the same data but now ordered by the amounts of hours slept, giving quality levels a simple value: Fully Awake=5, Good =4, Fair=3, Sleepy=2 and Like shit=1. Let's see :

hours slept #
quality
05:48 5 1 Like shit
07:08 4 5 Fully awake
07:30 3 --- No records
07:37 7 4 Good
07:51 7 2 Sleepy
08:32 4 3 Fair

Now it seems more clearer that the best quality sleep for ME (of course these values should change between individuals) should be around 7 hours. Let's give them a +- 30mins, because near 7:40 minutes there is already information of a lower quality sleep (from Fully awake to Good). So from 6:30 to 7:30 I should consider it my hours_slept target zone. For weekdays, since I have to be at work at 8:30am then my latest sleeping hour shouldn't be later than 1:30am, considering 30 minutes to wake-shower-drive (yes, I don't get any breakfast and I live really close to work :P... screw you commuters ! ).

After the mentioned logical exercise, it is no surprise that the average time I went to sleep for the most positive nights are 1:21am (Fully awake mornings) and 1:38am (Good mornings).

On the other hand... How can I know that my weekend behavior does not affect the presented averages ?? they should, since they are pretty messed up. Well easy, by checking the average time I woke up on each of those optimal nights:

# hours slept quality avg(went to bed) avg(woke up at)
3 06:38 Fully awake 01:21 07:06
7 07:37 Good 01:38 09:07

Looks like good nights have some bias to my weekend-waking-up-hours.... but anyways, I am interested in knowing the time range... independently of the day :P

Insights:
  • The distribution between the number of "positive nights" and the negative ones is pretty even...
  • On weekdays, my perfect time-to-go-to-bed is around 1:20am, to optimize my sleeping quality
  • The curve shows that there is a high quality sleep range which starts to decrease after more than 7.5 hours of sleep
  • Along with that, since the worst quality of sleep I had has an average of slept hours of 5 hours and 48 minutes, I would suspect that below that time range there should be another high quality sleep range, due to the sleeping cycles... so I might start sleeping some 5 just as a test....
Interesting, now I know myself better and I can push myself to bed with a better excuse... more experiments to come ? we'll see...

No comments: